Saturday, August 29, 2009

Joys and Challenges in Returning to Athens

I’ve had a good first week back in Athens. I’ve gotten good time with my team. It’s not too hot. People are on vacation so things aren’t so busy. I’ve shopped at the outdoor farmer’s market twice. I made it to the beach on Tuesday. My Greek friends and I are exchanging encouraging messages on Facebook and Skype. My living room has been painted and I’m unpacked. Pictures are about to be hung. I’m excited about getting settled.

A number of you have asked about the fires around Athens. We saw lots of smoke, but not flames. Some friends of mine who live north of town were awakened before six in the morning and told to pack up and get out of their house. Fortunately, their house wasn’t burned. We’re east of town and weren’t effected other than smelling smoke and cleaning up ash that settled on our furniture.

We know to expect challenges when moving back into a foreign country. Things cost hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars more than we think, appliances, phones, and internet don’t work the way we think they will, we can’t get cash fast enough to pay the bills that have accumulated, we’re awake until three in the morning with jet lag. The Lord has been gracious in all of these things in the last week and a half. He’s working them out and I’m grateful.

I’m praying that He continues to make our paths straight and to prepare us and Greek students to reveal Himself to us this school year.

No comments: