Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Student Riots



It’s interesting to live in a place where anarchists and communists are common. In America they’re extremists, not your next-door neighbors.
I live in the university community outside of the downtown area where students protest. Thankfully, it’s quiet here. You’d never know that it should be a school day. Only old men wander the campuses out here.As I type this update I’m skyping with a Greek friend who is filling me in on the reasons behind the riots. She says that the anarchists fight against the corrupt police force that supports and protects corrupt mobsters. She says that nothing will truly change without a break in the chain of violence. Her solution is education. She asked me how I thought things could change. I told her that real change has to happen in hearts.

During these tumultuous days I’m praying that students, and Greeks in general, will realize the need for revolution in our hearts. I want, more than anything, for Greeks to find real life and peace in a relationship with Jesus that will bring life and peace to this entire country.

No comments: