Monday, March 9, 2009

Spring in Athens!

When I was running on the trail around the poly-technical campus last week, I delighted in the trees that are beginning to bud and flower. I love the newness of spring!

I remember, in the fall, watching the workers strip the trees around the trail. They bound up branches and waste and piled them up at a couple of central spots. I was adjusting to the stress of living overseas and I felt like one of those trees that was being stripped bare of my perspectives, doubt, selfishness, and sin in my heart. At that point, I prayed that the Lord would also work in Greek students’ hearts to take away things that hinder them from enjoying close relationships with Him.

Now, as I enjoy the blossoming trees and blooming wild flowers, I’m noticing that my faith, hope and love have grown and I’m praying that the Lord will bring new spiritual life to our students here in Greece. I just wrote in my latest mailing that we’re seeing some progress in the lives of our friends. . .
Playing a game about world views in the theology school, girls debated whether their purposes in life were to serve others or to serve themselves. When we were leaving, they argued over who would get to keep the “Knowing God Personally” booklets I had in my bag (I need to carry more of them!).
My Greek tutor saw a diagram I shared with students about salvation. After I explained it, she said, “Well, we agree!” Please pray that the Lord will give us more good conversations about this and that she’ll join me for Bible study.
I often make friends with students in the theology school (it’s a typical degree here-- a littl
e bit like social work in the States). During finals, I talked with two students about their studies of the Old Testament. They’re surprised at the violent, evil things that happened. They see the same kinds of evil in people today. They’re considering that God is good and that He wants good for us instead of the evil that people do.
One of their good friends hangs out with my roommate, Paige, regularly. She asked what it looks like to know God personally. Paige shared with her how to trust Christ’s payment on the cross to give life. She wants a relationship with God like that.
A few of our friends have said they’d like to join us for Bible study. I love this! I want them to rea
d His Word because it’s powerful and effective and it changes lives. Paige and I are starting a weekly Bible study today. Please pray that the Lord would bring students to study His Word with us.

No comments: